Part 1 - The Latest in Literacy Research: How do children learn to read? Why do some students struggle with reading?
An Introduction to:
- The sounds of English: phonemes
- Writing in sounds: graphemes
- Beats in words: syllables
- Units of meaning: morphemes
- Regular and irregular words
The Reading Process
- How children learn to read and which skills are important in reading
- Why Some Students Struggle with Reading
The latest in reading research
- What Dyslexia is, and what causes it
- What is phonological processing?
- What causes phonological processing difficulties?
- What are phonological representations?
Teaching Kids to Read
- Why teaching reading is difficult
- What research tells us about how best to teach students to read
- What is the best way to teach children with learning difficulties to read?
Part 2 - Using Reading Doctor® programs and apps
This workshop will explore Reading Doctor® Software programs and apps including:
- Reading Sounds 1 Pro (PC program)
- Letter Sounds 1 & 2 Pro / Blending Sounds 1 Pro / Spelling Sounds 1 Pro / Sight Words 1 Pro (iPad / android / Mac)
- Word Builder (iPad)
Includes many practical suggestions for teaching students to read based on Dr. Bartek Rajkowski's clinical experience.
$200 + GST